2 tbsp Olive oil 1 medium onion finely chopped 1 cup chopped mushrooms
8 cups of chicken stock
2 cups of Italian rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
2/3 cup parmesan cheese
Prep & Directions
1. In a large heavy saucepan over low heat, cook the onion and mushrooms in the olive oil. Stir ingredients over low heat until soft (not browned).
2. At the same time, simmer the chicken stock over medium heat.
3. Increase the heat under the mushrooms and onions to medium and add the Italian rice. Stir constantly for 3 minutes, then add the white wine. Again, keep stirring to prevent sticking, as the wine is absorbed by the rice.
4. Then, start adding the chicken stock, 1 cup at a time. (Each cup must be absorbed before adding the next.) Stir to keep from sticking. Once 6 cups of chicken stock have been added, add the remaining stock ½ cup at a time. Be sure to sample taste the rice – it should be tender but still a little firm to bite (that is, never mushy).
5. Fold in 1 tbsp butter, then parmesan cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
Note: Risotto takes about 20 minutes once the first liquid is added.